Date:      Tue, 09 Sep 1997 19:33:27 -0600
From:      Blaine Minazzi <bminazzi@denverweb.net>
To:        Frank Seltzer <frankd@yoda.fdt.net>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Limiting users connect time

Frank Seltzer wrote:

> I think that I was too vague with my previous question ( and I forgot a
> subject line, sorry). What I am after is ISP policy on dealing with a user
> who stays logged on constantly.
>
> Do you:
>
> 1. Log them off (and wait for them to redial)
> 2. Log them off and refuse connection for x minutes/hours
> 3. Send them email asking them to cut down on their logon time
> 4. Threaten the user with death and dismemberment
> 5. Terminate their account
> 6. Other (please specify)
>
> Frank
> --
> Only in America can a homeless veteran sleep in a cardboard box while a
> draft dodger sleeps in the White House - anonymous

If you are offering "unlimited" use, then that is a part of the bid'ness
pardner.   Qaulity ISP's may offer a reasonable amount of time, at a
reasonable rate, and bill for excess usage.

Put yourself in the consumers shoes.  If you went to an "all you can
eat" restaraunt, and they told you you could not have any more food, you
have eaten all they thought you should, how would you feel about it?

Some ISP's have policies that state "you must be active at the
keyboard", etc....  Which precludes users who want to monitor remote
programs, etc.

The best policy is not to offer "unlimited" if you don't mean
"unlimited".

Blaine