Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 1998 01:32:28 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        jak@cetlink.net
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tickadj -t not changing tick

> And besides trial and error, is there any way of determining what the
> true frequency of my oscillator is?

Well, you *could* hook up a frequency counter...

Or, at a guess, you may be able to take the number of seconds
deviation you get in a week, divide by 604800 (seconds per week), and
multiply by your current value of machdep.i8254_freq, and get the
number of ticks you need to adjust the value by.

But I'm rather tired at the moment and can't be sure that I got the
math right.  A real quick dimensional analysis doesn't seem to turn
out right, but it's more likely I'm doing that wrong than the original
formula.

Happy hacking,
joelh

--