Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 13:06:59 +0000
From:      Dom Mitchell <Dom.Mitchell@palmerharvey.co.uk>
To:        Konstantin Chuguev <joy@urc.ac.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ELF default format vs. a.out default binary name

On 23 February 1999, Konstantin Chuguev proclaimed:
> Just curious: if ELF is the default binary file format now, then why gcc
> still produces a.out file by default?
>
> Well, I know, I've changed the reason and the consequence, so it's a
> kind of joke :-)

Well:

	It'd confuse people who aren't used to it.

	It didn't happen the last time a binary format change happened
	(COFF on SysV?).

	It's still Assembler OUTput.

	The Union Of Pixies raised an objection claiming racism.
--
Dom Mitchell -- Palmer & Harvey McLane -- Unix Systems Administrator

	Free your mind -- http://www.opensource.org/
the system manager.