Date:      Wed, 04 Sep 2002 05:38:43 -0700
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:
> "Neal E. Westfall" wrote:
>> So then would it be correct to classify you as a monist?  It seems
>> that you and Dave are actually on the same wavelength after all!
>> I know, I know, he's a dualist, but considering the fact that he
>> thinks everything is just one big dance, he's ultimately a monist.
>> Everything just "is."
>
> I would say that Dave is a monist, or has, at least, "demonstrated
> monist tendencies".

Oh oh, I'm being classified. ;)

>> The problem with analogies is that sometimes they prove too much.  Have
>> you ever met the Programmer?
> There's a programmer?  8-).

Yeah there is. Er, but you have to be able to stop the dream and look
behind the curtain to see the Being. ;)

> The rationalist view is that, given two explanations which fit
> the facts, the simpler one is the correct one.

So you get 50% of your explanations right? ;)

>> > So you will change the rule, or you will be removed from the conflict
>> > situation, or you will remove yourself from the conflict situation.
>> > No matter what you do (or the actual outcome), the conflict will be
>> > resolved to the satisfaction of the society.
>>
>> Yes, but this is all beside the point.  It is purely descriptive.
>> To what ends *should* society be seeking?
>
> IMO?  The advancement of human knowledge.

Noble, but how do you know this isn't misguided?
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise.