Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 21:25:22 +0100
From:      Joachim =?iso-8859-1?Q?Str=F6mbergson?= <watchman@ludd.luth.se>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        Jordan DeLong <fracture@allusion.net>, Farooq Mela <fmela0@sm.socccd.cc.ca.us>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel area libmish stuff (Cordic algorithm)

Aloha!

Peter Jeremy wrote:
> For a totally different approach, try Cordic algorithms.  Cordic
> algorithms let you implement circular and hyperbolic functions
> (including exponential, log and sqrt) using add, subtract, shift and
> table lookup.  (An n-bit result needs an n-entry x n-bit table, 2n
> shifts and 3n adds/subtracts).  I know there was an article in October
> 1990 Dr Dobbs Journal and a web search should probably find plenty
> more.

Ray Andraka is somewhat of the Cordic guru on the net, albeit usually
associated with FPGA-design. He has written several articles that
describes Cordic algorithms, bot in general terms and specifically for
FPGAs.

Check for example his paper "A Survey of CORDIC Algorithms for FPGAs"
which can be found here:
http://www.andraka.com/papers.htm

Also, Behrooz Parhami has written a book called "Computer Arithmetic -
Algorithms and Hardware Design" that also contains a good intro to
Cordic algorithms.

I'm part of starting up a company that (a) builds hardware and (b) uses
FreeBSD for different puposes. Albeit my time due to the starting of a
company bit is very limited nowadays, I'm willing to at least try to
answer questions relating these kinds of problems/areas (Cordics,
arithmetic and such fun stuff).

--
Cheers!
Joachim - Alltid i harmonisk svängning