Date:      Sat, 10 Mar 2012 00:41:20 +0000
From:      Alex Yong <annonymouse+freebsd@gmail.com>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strong host model in IPv6?

On 10 March 2012 00:03, Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org> wrote:

> So I guess I'll re-ask the question here: According to
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1122 that RFC has been updated quite a
> bit over the last 23 years. Have you followed that chain upwards to make
> sure that your concerns are still valid?
>

> Doug

My question is perhaps not phrased brilliantly.  I shouldn't have used the
word "specified" when talking about the RFC and maybe re-written my
question so apologies - it's late here.
To sum up, is FreeBSD intended to support the strong host model for IPv6 as
described in that RFC?  As my tests don't seem to show it as not doing so,
which seems contrary to what the KAME book suggests.  However I can't find
any specific wording on this on the internet or freebsd site.  If this is
so, is there any sysctl or other mechanism which I've missed which enables
said strong host model - or am I stuck?

As you have pointed out, RFC 1122 is 23 years old and covers a lot of the
basics of what IP networking is and as a result has a significant number of
updating RFCs.  I simply point to it for the definition of strong ES model
which is not redefined, and is referenced in the FreeBSD code base for at
least IPv4 in ip_input.c.  Next time I'll just say "strong host model".

AlexY