Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 10:40:06 +0100 (MET)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.dk>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, sos@FreeBSD.dk, dg@root.com, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG, regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk
Subject:   Re: 3.0 -release ?

> > (the magic number at this address is of course 0xNNNNNNed to jump over
> > the header).  Perhaps the boot loader should initialize paging so that
> > the startup code doesn't need to be written in assembler (to relocate
> > from low physical memory to high virtual memory).
>
> I think we were wondering more about the size constraints on getting a
> single-stage bootblock to recognize both ELF and a.out images. :-)
>
> I know you're a fan of our current boot blocks, but this sounds like
> more intelligence than can be fit into our existing boot block code.
> Is there a secret GRUB project going or something that I don't know
> about?  How were the ELFsters planning on booting either type of
> kernel during the transition period? :)

Hmm, I think we have done it differently...
I have bootblocks that reads both formats, but has no bad144 support ...

I hope to have more time after Xmas/Newyear, currently I'm having 20+
hour days (we have a release to build at work, due monday), and a week
of vacation on the Canaries after that, then it should slowly settle
back to normal...

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..