Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 03:39:26 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Magdalinin Kirill <bsdforumen@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw rules for incoming passive mode ftp connections

Magdalinin Kirill wrote:

> Thanks, Kent. I added
>
> # This is for passive mode connections
> ${fwcmd} add pass tcp from any 1024-65535 to ${ip} 49152-65535 setup
>
> to the rule set and it seems to work fine. Actually, 1024-65535
> can be trimed because ftp clients tend to use ports from 34???
> to ????? for passive mode connections. But I am short on time
> to find out the actual range.

I tried using a Windows 2000 Server and ws-ftp pro to connect to the
remote site I was using. The first port it connected to was ${oip}
32892 and the next time it was 34900. Both of these were well below
the 49152. Previously everthing had been above 49152. It still worked
but required much time before it did anything.

Kent