Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 1999 18:11:16 -0800
From:      "Charles" <charles271828@my-Deja.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   vanilla natd setup faq

I apologize for being a clueless newbie with natd, but... I have read
the Handbook, the Complete FreeBSD, the FAQs, the man pages, and the
tutorial that was pointed out at:

    http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~rowland/FreeBSD/natd.html

I still can't get the most simple natd situation to work, and I hope
someone can help me.  I have a DSL connection, a FreeBSD machine with
two NICs, and a Windows machine with 1 NIC.  Both machines connect to
the Internet fine via a direct connection to the DSL.

In my desired configuration, I cable the two private NICs together and
connect the public NIC on the FreeBSD box to the DSL.  My Windows setup
looks like this:

    IP Address: 192.168.0.2
    Gateway:    192.168.0.1
    DNS:        206.13.28.12 [Pacbell DSL]

On the FreeBSD box, I have:

    network_interfaces="pn0 pn1 lo"
    ifconfig_pn0="inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"
    ifconfig_pn1="inet A.B.C.D     netmask 255.255.255.0"
    defaultrouter="E.F.G.H" [Pacbell DSL-assigned gateway]
    gateway_enable="YES"
    firewall_enable="YES"
    firewall_type="open"
    natd_enable="YES"
    natd_interface="pn1"
    natd_flags="-u -m -dynamic"

In my kernel I have set

    options IPFIREWALL
    options IPDIVERT
    pseudo-device bpfilter 4

And I created the /dev/bpf[0-3] devices.  (Though I don't believe
bpfilter is necessary, the "tutorial" mentioned above says it is.)

Shouldn't this be enough?  I'm baffled as to what to check next, or how
to check it... pings from either side to the other just time out.

I feel there is something fundamental I just don't understand...

Charles