Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 1997 19:25:41 +1100 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
Cc:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, terry@lambert.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MIME applications for FreeBSD

Jake Hamby wrote:
> Another comment on this dangerously off-topic thread:  There is now
> commercial gateway software designed specifically to look at MIME
> attachments and convert them into a format friendly to the recipient.  They
> even go so far as to add an appropriate resource fork if the recipient is a
> Mac user, or add the 3-character extension if the recipient is a PC user.
> Wonder what happens if the recipient's using UNIX?  :)

Try sending a uuencoded _binary_ (for SysV... oops, I mean FreeBSD ;-) to
a MS mail user. Last time I did that, msmail uudecoded it automatically
and replaced all <LF> chars with <CR><LF> (or something like that).
The client complained that the program was core dumping. Duh. I tried to
explain that it was Microsoft's attempt at auto-virus generation for
UNIX, but the client didn't believe me 8-).

> -- Jake

Regards,

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@netbsd.org
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, 119 Cecil Street, South Melbourne Vic 3205, Australia