Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 1996 22:36:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@current1.whistle.com>
To:        rohit@cs.UMD.EDU
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Giant Sized Ethernet Packets

funny you should mentionned that..
we use the above mentionned hardware to produce GIANT packets
on a proprietary network..  your packets are basically normal

Our packets are 15.5KB. i.e. 10x noraml size.
If you look in the DE driver you will see references
to #ifdef BIG_PACKET
these are for us (TRW)

On Wed, 18 Sep 1996 rohit@cs.UMD.EDU wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to send giant sized ethernet packets (>1500
> bytes say 1550) using the current 'de' driver for the SMC 10/100 DEC 21140

HAH! call that a giant packet?
THIS is a Giant packet...
"TRW image system "BP protocol"
:)
> cards.
>
> If not, would somebody know if this is possible with the above h/w
> at all?
>
> Any pointers to other h/w over which giant packets are possible would

ohhhhh  yeaaaahhhhh, 1550? just change the mtu :)

Our stuff requires a little differnt programming of the chip.

> be
appreciated.