Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 1995 23:17:04 +0100
From:      Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ppp again

In message <Pine.SUN.3.91.950813175548.4707B-100000@mocha.eng.umd.edu>, Chuck R
obey writes:
>First, the password.  I have to login anyways, to the annex, before I can
>issue ppp, so I think the system has my username/password.  Do I need to
>put something in ppp.secret, and why?

ppp.secret is for CHAP authentication I think. Unless you are using
CHAP (or are controlling who gets access to the control port (3000))
you don't really need a ppp.secret.

>I tried to add "delete default" and "add default HISADDR" in the linkup
>file, but I got error messages indicating it wanted "delete dest gateway"
>and "add dest mask gateway".  How do I do what I want?

The correct thing to do for automatic operation is:

add 0 <netmask> <remoteaddr>

Even tho I may not connect to 158.152.1.194, I add a route to it the
entry for my auto-dialout section. Then in /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup I have

MYADDR:
 delete ALL
 add 0 0 HISADDR

This should work. Unless you have gateways off your local ether
subnet, that delete ALL shouldn't affect your ethernet.

Gary