Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2006 08:48:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Arone Silimantia <aronesimi@yahoo.com>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: quotas safe on >2 TB filesystems in 6.1-RELEASE ?

--- Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com> wrote:

> I also have several 2Tb partitions (set up prior to
> gjournal being
> available), that are *FULL*, and each have about
> 25-45million inodes on
> them.  Those fsck in about 4-7hours each, using
> between 1Gb and 3Gb of
> memory to do so.

That's encouraging.  What do you have your
kern.maxdsiz set to ?  1024000000 ?

How about on the systems with the big arrays you were
talking about ?  Or do you not bother with a large
maxdsiz there since you don't bother with fsck anyway
?

> > Ok, but all of the CLI tools (edquota, repquota,
> > quota, quotacheck, quotaon) are all known-good for
> > "bigdisk" ?
> >
> > And there is no known "quotas just don't work with
> > bigdisk" problems ?
> >
> > I was hoping someone out there was running quotas
> with
> > 6.1-RELEASE on a >2TB filesystem and could report
> favorably...
>
> I'm not certain.  There were some bugs in quotas,
> that recently were
> fixed (Kris Kennaway I think reported them and saw
> the fixes into the
> tree), and prior to that I saw those consistently,
> so I stopped using
> them.  I haven't tried since the fixes have been in
> place, and the fixes
> (if I recall correctly) had to do with background
> fsck (softupdates
> maybe) and not the size of the disk.

Yes, I was hoping Kris would respond to this thread
and give a thumbs up or down on quotas in 6.1-RELEASE
for >2TB disks.  They work great with my 2 TB arrays,
but I need to go bigger now, and I don't know that I
can wait for 6.2-RELEASE to arrive...

I do not run snapshots in any form, and do not do
background fsck.

Thanks!