Date:      Tue, 4 Sep 2001 14:48:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net>
Cc:        Nora Etukudo <nora@sappho-net.de>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: OT: sparc?

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Garrett Rooney wrote:

>On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 03:49:10PM +0200, Nora Etukudo wrote:
>> This might be very offtopic.
>>
>> Every now and than I see commit messages from the cvs-all list, which
>> belong to files with '/src/sys/sparc64/' in their path. Does this mean,
>> it's possible to install FreeBSD on an 'UltraSparc 5'?
>>
>> (I don't have experience with systems other than Intel based ones, but I
>> would like to see an unused U5 with FreeBSD here. :-))
>
>For better information, you could ask on freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org,
>but from what I've heard, it's a work in progress at this point.  It's
>closing in on single user mode though, so at some point in the near
>future you will be able to install FreeBSD on your UltraSparc.

In the meantime you could run NetBSD/sparc64 on it, which is quite
mature at this point in relation to the FreeBSD/sparc64 code.  See
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/sparc64/ for more information.

--
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today.  There might be a
law against it by that time."	-- /usr/games/fortune, 07/30/2001

Brandon D. Valentine <bandix at looksharp.net>