Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 1997 16:55:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Donald J. Maddox" <root@cola80.scsn.net>
To:        yihsiao@ucsd.edu (Yimin Hsiao)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Help!!!

> I just installed emacs from the packages using "pkg_add", but I wasn't able to run it.  I got the following error whenever I typed "emacs" at the # prompt,
> 	ld.so failed: Can't find shared library libXaw.so.6.1
> Can someone help me with this problem?

    This lib (libXaw.so.6.1) is part of X...  It's not found because you
don't have X installed...  If you want to run emacs without X, you should
start it with the command `emacs -nw`.  The '-nw' switch tells it not to
try to use X.

> I also installed gcc from the packages and compiled a test program.  But I couldn't run a.out.  I see the error
> 	a.out not found
> whenever I type a.out.  But the file IS there.  What happened?  It couldn't tell it's an executable?

    This is because the current directory is not in your path.  To execute
a program in the current dir named 'myprog', you should type ./myprog.
The './' tells the shell to look for the program in the current dir,
rather than searching through yur path for it.

> I also wanted to install XWindows.  I downloaded the entire directory "XFree86" from the web, but how do I go from there?  /stand/sysinstall doesn't seem to work and I want to install it manually.  Can you please tell me how?  Thanks.

1)  You should already have a dir named /usr/X11R6...  If you don't, then
create it.

2)  Cd to /usr/X11R6 and untar all of the XF32*.tgz files with a command
like `tar -pvzxf <PATH TO TARFILES>/X32*.tgz`.

3)  Then copy the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc file to your home dir,
rename it to .xinitrc and edit it to your liking.

4)  Add /usr/X11R6/bin to your path.

5)  Type 'ldconfig -m /usr/X11R6/bin'.

6)  Type 'startx'

  This should at least get you started...  Good luck :-)

--

                                            Donald J. Maddox
                                            (dmaddox@scsn.net)