Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 2014 13:53:05 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scott4long@yahoo.com>
To:        Joe Moog <joemoog@ebureau.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: kern/185967: Link Aggregation LAGG: LACP not working in 	10.0

On Feb 5, 2014, at 1:14 PM, Joe Moog <joemoog@ebureau.com> wrote:

>> Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2014 09:40:30 +0100
>> To: freebsd-net@freebsd.org
>> Subject: Re: kern/185967: Link Aggregation LAGG: LACP not working in
>> 	10.0
>>=20
>> Hi Scott,
>>=20
>> I had tried to set it in /etc/sysctl.conf but seems it didnt work. =
But=20
>> will I try again and report back.
>>=20
>> The settings of the switch have not been changed and are set to LACP. =
It=20
>> worked before so I guess the switch should not be the problem. Maybe=20=

>> some incompatibility between FreeBSD + igb-driver + switch (Juniper=20=

>> EX3300-48T).
>>=20
>> I will update you after setting the sysctl setting. It seems to be=20
>> "dynamic", I guess 0 reflects the index of LACP lagg devices. Can I=20=

>> switch off the strict mode globally in /etc/sysctl.conf?
>>=20
>> Thanks for your help.
>>=20
>> Regards
>> Ben
>>=20
>> On 03.02.2014 09:31, Scott Long wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>=20
>>> You?re probably running into the consequences of r253687.  Check to =
see the value of ?sysctl net.link.lagg.0.lacp.lacp_strict_mode?.  If =
it?s ?1? then set it to 0.  My original intention was for this to =
default to 0, but apparently that didn?t happen.  However, the fact that =
strict mode doesn?t seem to work at all for you might hint that your =
switch either isn?t configured correctly for LACP, or doesn?t actually =
support LACP at all.  You might want to investigate that.
>>>=20
>>> Scott
>>>=20
>>> On Feb 3, 2014, at 1:17 AM, Ben <mailinglists@niessen.ch> wrote:
>>>=20
was configured to use LACP with two igb devices.
10.0-RELEASE: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=3D28jvgpw&s=3D5#.Uu9PXT1dVPM=

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3Dkern/185967
as it obviously has a great influence on our infrastructure. The only =
way to "solve" it is currently switching back to FreeBSD 9.2.
>=20
> Our experience appears to differ. We have 4-pot LAGG configured on an =
Intel ethernet NIC (igb drivers), connected via LACP to 4 ports on a =
Cisco Cat4948, host initially configured with FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE and =
upgraded to 10.0-RELEASE. Following the upgrade, everything works as =
expected without making any additional adjustments. (We did initially =
have to increase the mbuf_cluster allowance to get 4-port LAGG working =
with 9.2, but that may be immaterial to this conversation.)
>=20
> As an outsider looking in, the issue seems to crop up in cases where =
switch configurations have not been set specifically to force (active) =
LACP, or it's something related to use with mixed ethernet drivers =
(e.g., bge mixed with igb, as in the case of the linked PR), or possibly =
with different switch manufacturer's handling of FreeBSD's LACP =
negotiation (in both this case and the PR, Juniper). Whether or not this =
needs to be addressed from within FreeBSD itself I will leave to the =
experts.

As a follow-up, Ben=92s problem was that his switch was set for passive =
mode and thus not sending out heartbeats.  The FreeBSD LACP driver =
accidentally switched its default from permissive to strict mode, and in =
doing so required the reception of heartbeats in order to operate.  =
Compounding the problem was that the sysctl to change the behavior was =
completely untested and useless because it set the state of the ports =
too late in the initialization process.  These problems will be =
addressed for the 10.1 release.  However, once Ben set his switch to =
active LACP mode, everything worked.

Scott