Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 1995 15:28:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        nate@rocky.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        mark@grondar.za, nate@rocky.sri.MT.net, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE

> > > Hey, I helped start the patchkit, so of course it was before the
> > > patchkit days.  I think I'm one of the 386bsd 0.1 contributors. :)
> >
> > OK - maybe you can help me find out something - When the patchkits were
> > being made, there were the 50000-series that were "not for export".
>
> The 5000 series patches for 'experimental'.  I don't remember any 50000
> non-exportable patches, though by that time Rod and Jordan were doing
> the patchkit.
>
> Let me go dig on my box to make sure.  Sigh, I remember that when I
> upgraded to 2.1 I backed all of my patchkit stuff onto tape.  I still
> have the patchkit generation software there.  Someday when FreeBSD is
> *huge* and everyone is running it, I'll sell my box for a million
> dollars with all of the software on it. *grin*
>
> > I got
> > a set - minus the crypt.c, and set it up at the University of Cape Town
> > (briefly) until Geoff Rehmet picked up that ball and ran with it. (Anyone
> > following me?) Geoff set up his site (braae.ru.ac.za), making me very
> > happy (I had no work to do ]:->). What I am looking for is anyone who
> > remembers any of this - I would like to thank the kind person who
> > actually took my interest seriously and therfore sparked my further
> > interest in {386|Free}BSD. Who sent me those "sanitised" patchkits?
>
> Rod might remember this, I'm Cc'ing him on this to see if he remembers.

Humm... actually, yea, I do remember there being one of the patches that
was the stuff to install crypt on the system.  The patch included everything
but crypt.c which you had to pick up from some other site.

The only patchkit I have online right now is the last one, let me see...

>From the upgrade notes I find this:

2.  Install ALL patches in the range 1 to 138 inclusive.  If you have
    a good reason to not have any of these installed we would like to
    know about it.  If you do not do this, you will lose these patches
    when you do the step 4.  You should leave the patch50000 installed
    if you are using crypt, it has NOT changed.

So infact it was patch50000 that did the magic, and if history does not
mistake me I was the one who created that patch.  I do not know if it was
me who helped you get it outside the US though.