Date:      Mon, 03 Nov 1997 21:45:14 -0600
From:      "Mike (mlbsd)" <mlistbsd@icorp.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Virtual Terminal snafu in 2.1.5 and 2.2.2 gripes

I'm running FreeBSD 2.1.5 on a PPro 200 Intel system.  I have a little
problem in that during boot-up, if I don't repeatedly hit "ScrollLock", the
console will freeze and the only way to access the system is remotely.  I
narrowed this down to some bug in the virtual terminal software - my
question is - is there a way to disable this "feature" from the
boot/start-up process?  Is there an upgrade?  Can I load the virtual
terminal process manually later?  Is it configured in the Kernel?  I'd
prefer to not have to re-compile the kernel since I haven't done that
before and I'm otherwise happy with the system's performance.

This is a pretty generic system set up (Intel VS-440 PPro system with 64MB
Ram, Adaptec 2940uw, Seagate Barricudas, 3Com 3c509).  I recently purchased
FreeBSD 2.2.2 and was dismayed to find that the damn thing wouldn't
recognize my SCSI CD-ROM.  I could boot to the CDROM but after
installation, the OS wouldn't recognize the drive!!  I was in a critical
situation and needed to get the system back online so I threw 2.1.5 back
online.  From my perspective, 2.2.2 sucks - I don't understand why 2.1.5
installs perfectly and 2.2.2 doesn't - I'd expect the list of supported
hardware to increase NOT decrease - but anyway, that's another gripe for
another time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - if at all possible, e-mail
replies: mike@rohms.com

Thanks.