Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2000 11:40:57 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gcc-2.95, a quick question

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, John Daniels wrote:
> Hi:
> It was my understanding that gcc-2.95 came with FreeBSD as the default
> compiler.  Is this true?, if so where is it?  I tried to find it on my
> system but I couldn't.

That's funny, I did a "man gcc" on my system and this is what shows up

GCC(1)                      GNU Tools                      GCC(1)

NAME
       gcc, g++ - GNU project C and C++ Compiler (gcc-2.95.1)

It is a little out of date because if you do

jade# gcc -v
Using builtin specs.
gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)

You can see that the release is really 2.95.2. If you are using a
FreeBSD < 4.0, then you have a different setting. The default "C"
compiler for >= 4 is what you are wondering about

> Also: Is the system-supplied gcc (assuming there is one) fully functional or
> limited?  Do I still need to make install the port?
>
> Thanks,
> John
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA