Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 1999 16:37:40 +0100
From:      Nicolas Souchu <nsouch@teaser.fr>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        chuckr@mat.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, imp@village.org
Subject:   Re: lpt0

On Sun, Feb 14, 1999 at 05:31:08AM -0800, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:

>> Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 19:17:14 +0100
>> From: Nicolas Souchu <nsouch@teaser.fr>
>>
>> You need:
>>
>> controller	ppbus0			# The ppbus system
>> device		nlpt0	at ppbus?	# The printer driver
>>
>> And finally the parallel port chipset interface,
>>
>> controller	ppc0	at isa? port? tty irq 7 drq 3
>>
>> See ppbus(4) and/or http://www.freebsd.org/~nsouch/ppbus.html for more info
>> about the ppbus architecture.
>
>  how much information about this should be included in
>  /usr/src/UPDATING?   the entry there talks about the change but does
>  not provide enough information to successfully upgrade (ppc0 is not
>  mentioned, nor does it provide a pointer to where to go for  more
>  information.)  ;(

Sorry, your efforts are lost. I've just renamed nlpt to lpt. But I've
properly updated lpt.4, I think.

You may just add, the minimal configuration and point to the manpage for
further details. Something like:

Now the lpt driver, previously named nlpt in the ppbus system not to collide
with the original isa/lpt.c functions, shall be declared with:

controller	ppbus0
device		lpt0 at ppbus?

controller	ppc0 at isa? port "IO_LPT1" tty irq 7

The ppc(4) driver is the ISA parallel port interface driver. The ppbus(4)
controller stands for the whole ppbus system code. And finally, you have
lpt(4).
<<<

--
nsouch@teaser.fr / nsouch@freebsd.org