Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 00:52:14 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: national security backdoor in FreeBSD.

> There is a backdoor in all versions of FreeBSD that are not compiled
> from source code within portmapper and telnetd.

Hmm.  Let's check out this logic.  The binaries that ship on the FreeBSD
distros are compiled from source.  When I upgrade my system, I compile from
source.  And the backdoor only exists in binaries that are not compiled from
source.  So where do these binaries-with-no-source come from?  Oh, I know!
Carnivore detects FreeBSD ISO downloads, and tells the Magic Lantern
software on my ISP's servers to change the binaries inside the ISO images
that I FTP.  Makes perfect sense!

--
Matt Emmerton
[ A proud Canuck who takes offense to the huge Canadian flag hanging on this