Date:      Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:39:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      chkversion <eik+chkversion@FreeBSD.org>
To:        FreeBSD ports <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        cyrille.lefevre@laposte.net
Subject:   Ports with version numbers going backwards: astro/linux-setiathome, graphics...

** The following ports have a version number that sorts before a previous one **

 For many package tools to work correctly, it is of utmost importance that
 version numbers of a port form a monotonic increasing sequence over time.
 Refer to the FreeBSD Porter's Handbook, 'Package Naming Conventions' for
 more information. Tools that won't work include pkg_version, portupgrade
 and portaudit. A common error is an accidental deletion of PORTEPOCH.

 Please fix any errors as soon as possible.

- *astro/linux-setiathome* <cyrille.lefevre@laposte.net>: linux-setiathome-i686-3.08_1 < linux-setiathome-i686-3.08_3
> [...]
   |  - don't let cpio use hardlinks in the linux_base-8 port to quiet some
   |    warnings in some cases [2]
   |  - fix a cut&past error in the linux_base-8 pkg-install script [3]
   |  - convert the binary knob "USE_LINUX" to a version specifier, e.g.
   |    USE_LINUX=<value> specifies a dependency upon
   |    emulators/linux_base-<value>, exceptions are a value of "7" (which
   |    does what you want and adds a dependency to linux_base) and any
   |    value without a corresponding port in
   |    PORTSDIR/emulators/linux_base-<value> (which adds a dependency to
   |    the default linux_base)
   |  - don't implicitly add USE_LINUX with the USE_LINUX_PREFIX knob,
   |    this allows us to use the USE_LINUX_PREFIX knob for linux_base and
   |    paves the way for splitting up future linux base ports into
   |    individual pieces
   |  - remove RESTRICTED from some GPL licensed ports, even when we only
   |    distribute binaries, we get them from official linux sites, so
   |    anyone can grab them there if he needs to
   |  - add a dependency upon the linux X11 bits where necessary (based upon
   |    guesswork)
   |  - don't use USE_X_PREFIX in some linux ports since it adds a dependency
   |    to the FreeBSD X11 libs, as a workaround use PREFIX?= (the clean
   |    solution would be to remove the implicit USE_XLIB from USE_X_PREFIX)
   |  - bump the portrevision of the linux ports ("better safe than sorry"
   |    algorithm)
   |  - pass maintainership of the important linux infrastructure to a
   |    mailinglist, hijack freebsd-emulation@ for this purpose (if somebody
   |    doesn't like this: tell us your bikeshed color at freebsd-emulation@,
   |    my color would be "linuxolator@" in case someone cares...)
   |  - add a pkg-install script for linux-fontconfig, but don't use it;
   |    everything should work without it (the FreeBSD fc-cache program should
   |    do all the work), but in case we need it we just need to decomment the
   |    pkg-install part in the Makefile
   |  - fix some dependencies
   |  - fix some bugs
   |  - add some static plists
   |  - unbreak the ports with dependecies to more than one linux_base
   |
   | This also fixes some ports which are marked BROKEN because of dependencies
   | to v7 and v8 of linux_base at the same time.
   |
   | Known bugs:
   |  - the linux-mesa and linux-devtools ports install libGL*.so symlinks
   |  - some "minor" plist bugs (e.g. ld.so.{conf,cache} are modified by
   |    the linux X11 port, so linx_Base-8 moans at deinstall time)
   |
   | Future work (interested souls should coordinate with freebsd-emulation@):
   |  - add some kind of USE_LINUX_X11 knob to streamline the X11 dependencies,
   |    or modify the behavior of USE_XLIB in the USE_LINUX case
   |    AFAIK trevor has some patches.
   |  - make USE_XLIB and USE_X_PREFIX orthogonal to be able to get rid of
   |    the PREFIX?= workaround in some linux ports
   |    Should be discussed/coordinated on/with x11@.
   |  - move the RPM bits from x11-toolkits/linux-gtk/Makefile to PORTSDIR/Mk/

  (master: astro/setiathome)

- *graphics/linux-png* <freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org>: linux-png-1.2.7_1 < linux-png-1.2.7_3

- *graphics/linux-png10* <freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org>: linux-png-1.0.16_1 < linux-png-1.0.16_3