Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 1997 00:58:51 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@thelab.hub.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange behaviour with -current kernel...

I've just upgraded to the most current kernel, and am having some very,
very strange problems with my system.  I use pine for email, and each time
I restart pine, it tells me that its a new version (haven't upgraded pine
in months) and regenerates my .pinerc.  Looking at the .pinerc itself
seems to show some "weird" stuff:

------------------
# Updated by Pine(tm) 3.96, copyright 1989-1996 University of Washington.
#
# Pine configuration file -- customize as needed.
#
# This file sets the configuration options used by Pine and PC-Pine.  If
you
# are using Pine on a Unix system, there may be a system-wide
configuration
# file which sets the defaults for these variables.  There are comments in
# this file to explain each variable, but if you have questions about
# specific settings see the section on configuration options in the Pine
# notes.  On Unix, run pine -conf to see how system defaults have been
set.
# For variables that accept multiple values, list elements are separated
# by commas.  A line beginning with a space or tab is considered to be a
# continuation of the previous line.  For a variable to be unset its value
# must be blank.  To set a variable to the empty string its value should
# be "".  You can override system defaults by setting a variable to the
# empty string.  Switch variables are set to either "yes" or "no", and
# default to "no".
# Lines beginning with "#" are comments, and ignored by Pine.

ateFreeObjects(); } () = tclFreeObjList; tclFreeObjList = (Tcl_Obj *)
tclFreeObj
List->internalRep.otherValuePtr; ()->refCount = 0; ()->bytes    =
tclEmptyString
Rep; ()->length   = 0; ()->typePtr  = NULL; TclIncrObjsAllocated()

# Over-rides your full name from Unix password file. Required for PC-Pine.
personal-name=

	Notice the garbage?  Somehow files are being overwritten...and the
only thing major I'm doing on the system right now is a 'make world'...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org