Date:      Mon, 22 May 1995 09:00:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Hittinger <bugs@ns1.win.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/430: bug in tape drivers (fwd)

> It sets the CCB_ABORTED flag the first time, so you should only
> get one "Try to abort" message per aborted transaction. More than
> one message means more than one aborted transaction.  We
> ought to print out the ccb with %p.

Will patch it and see what I get.

> > The workaround (a gross and sleazy kludge I admit :-) ) lets me do backups
> > without bitspraying my disks!
>
> Are you sure?
> Which other transfers were aborted?  Were they
> retried?  Are you sure you don't have
> subtle corruption problems, and you just aren't getting gross disk
> corruption and a system panic?

I've been doing it since early december.  This is on my heaviest hit server
so I doubt that something terribly ugly occurs here.  At least I've not
seen anything :-)  I will pay more attention to this and put more printfs
into the driver for more clues.

Oh yeah, and I was getting gross disk corruption and system panics every
time without the gross sleazy patch.  That was the point of the gross
sleazy patch :-)  Several afternoons in fsck for too many hours.

> I think the tape drive isn't disconnecting and the
> SCSI bus is locked up.  As long as you ARE getting "disk retry" messages
> you are OK, though.  If you aren't I think you may have problems.

I got another email too about enabling scsi disconnection on the tape
drive.  I double checked and - dammit - it was not on for that device.
I can't remember if that was important.  This morning I will enable
disconnection and run another backup - about 13 gigs of stuff to the
drive.  See what happens ect.

Regards,

Mark Hittinger
bugs@win.net