Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2007 01:01:31 +0100
From:      "Michael Schuh" <michael.schuh@gmail.com>
To:        "Chuck Swiger" <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: another error with md malloc based fs

hi Chuck,
hi @list

me again, behind the scenes,
i would take over my Server by an hoster from
Linux to FreeBSD on the running system,
while the hoster takes money for pressing 2 buttons and
put a disk in my Server.......so
i create now a mfs based system that can bootet from disk and resides
fully in ram. I have tryed out Colin's depenguinator,
but it fails...some times
now i would do the steps by hand....

thanks

cheers

michael
2007/3/23, Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>:

> On Mar 22, 2007, at 4:17 PM, Michael Schuh wrote:
> > i can't understand how malloc can eat all available
> > memory, i have 2Gigs of it ;-)
> > so it seems to me i know what i doing, if
> > i have 1,6 Gigs free Memory, and i say ok get me 750Megs from
> > my 1,6 Gigs of free Memory, what was faulty on that????
>
> The two choices involve a swap-based RAMdisk, which can use all of
> the available physical RAM it needs to, since this memory is
> swappable, or a kernel-memory-based RAMdisk, which uses wired-down
> memory from within the kernel.
>
> You shouldn't or can't create huge kernel-based RAMdisks without
> expanding the amount of KVM available to the kernel...it's not
> reasonable to wire down hundreds of MB or RAM in almost all situations.
>
> > i hope it gave another way to use such ram-disk without using
> > swap or other harddisk based backend....otoh my ram is not fully
> > useful
> > for me and i must, after twelve years of using freebsd, looking
> > back to
> > linux, and that i never would, only for using ramdisks....
>
> If you wanted to create a 10MB RAMdisk, using kernel-based memory
> would be fine.
>
> For things which are much larger than that, the kernel's global VM
> management is using techniques like page-fault frequency heuristics
> and will do a better job of keeping active stuff cached in RAM
> (regardless of whether the stuff is part of a running process or part
> of your RAMdisk filesystem), if you let the kernel manage the
> situation than if you try to configure hundreds of MB which can only
> be used for a RAMdisk.
>
> Anyway, if you want to use Linux instead, nobody here is going to try
> to persuade you to do otherwise.  Have fun,
>
> --
> -Chuck

--=20
=3D=3D=3D michael-schuh.net =3D=3D=3D