Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 1995 12:38:58 -0600
From:      "Charles F. Randall" <crandall@dmacc.cc.ia.us>
To:        Petri Helenius <pete@sms.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cache FS? (willing to help)

On Oct 30,  7:49pm, Petri Helenius wrote:
> Charles F. Randall writes:
>  > In essence, you create a fixed-size "cache file" on a local disk and
>  > then point cachefs at the filesystem you wish to cache (most likely
>  > NFS and/or CDROM).
>  >
>  > Are there any plans in FreeBSD for anything like this?
>  >
> Why bother? If you have a slow network, you buy a faster network, if your
> cdrom is slow, you buy a faster cdrom, not more disk space. In my opinion
> this is not cost-effective because you cannot get definite performance
> impact.

Consider the situation where the NFS server and client (with a small local
disk) are connected by a slow network link which you do not own. An extreme
example, but it should illustrate my point.

The client-side caching in AFS should serve another implemented example.

-Randy

--
Charles F. Randall              E-mail: crandall@dmacc.cc.ia.us
UNIX Systems Programmer         Voice:  (515) 965-7057  FAX: (515) 965-7305