Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 2002 15:12:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
To:        "Sameer R. Manek" <manek@ecst.csuchico.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, <re@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: restoring definition of -stable

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Sameer R. Manek wrote:
> I think part of the problem is that freebsd has lost someone who previously
> used to make sure that patches MFC were actually stable. JKH used to play an
> active role in that.

Are you volunteering?  It's easy to point a finger and say "they should do
this..."  Just remember the three fingers pointing at yourself.  People
come and go.  I think we all miss JKH's contributions, but he's moved on
to greener pastures.  Let's work with what we've got.

> The definition of what is -stable has been relaxed in the past 2 years. If
> you look at the handbook from 2 years ago, you will see this is what they
> define it as.

Not surprisingly, I find a lot of changes in the past two years.  The
handbook is a living document, it will change.  The current definitions
explain how FreeBSD works now.  If you don't like how it works, it's much
more effective to volunteer and effect change from the inside out than it
is to point fingers and make empty suggestions.  If you are not qualified
to help, then it is also unlikely you understand all the issues pertaining
to your request.