Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 1999 19:18:59 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: gcc compile error

> > 3. Raise this issue with Cygnus.
>
> Not really Cygnus is the wrong organization to raise this issue .

Could you *please* explain why???

Gcc 2.96 will not be out before 4.0.  So Gcc 2.95.x is what is going into
4.0.  Now should a Gcc 2.95.3 were to come out, then we'd get a new
compiler for 4.0.

> As someone else pointed out the gcc-devel port does not exhibit the bug
> which I posted.

Lets think about this in FreeBSD terms -- 4.0 does not have some problem
that 3.4-R does.  However it wasn't known that 3.4-R had this problem and
the reason why 4.0 does not have this problem is due to *tons* of code
changes, not necessarily in response to this problem.

Now would the FreeBSD Project like to know that there is a problem with
3.4-R that isn't in 4.0 along with a test case to show the problem?
Would the FreeBSD Project, maybe just maybe be interested in fixing the
problem and releasing a 3.5-R?

Just like FreeBSD, EGCS has two code branches.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com)