Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 1997 12:36:00 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jim Lowe <james@miller.cs.uwm.edu>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, mark@quickweb.com
Cc:        <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, Michael@quickweb.com, Smith@quickweb.com, hackers@freebsd.org, julian@whistle.com, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [FUN/WORK] BSD Networking virtual meeting.

> From: Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
> Cc: Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, julian@whistle.com,
>         hackers@freebsd.org, multimedia@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: [FUN/WORK] BSD Networking virtual meeting.
>
> Are there any good pointers out there on how mbone works? I'm going to ask
> "CCS - Computer & Communications Services" here on my campus for mbone
> connectivity, and I anticipate a big fat "Huh??" in response... So I'd
> like to get a little background information so I look like I know
> *something* before I go waiding into the university beurocacy to get
> mbone...

The Mbone (or multicast backbone) is tunnel'ed network (today) which
rides on top of the unicast Internet.  A map of the mbone is available
from http://www.nlanr.net/Viz/Mbone/.  The IETF MBONED group is
working on deploying multicast technologies for the Internet at large
(http://network-services.uoregon.edu/~meyer/MBONED/).   A web
site with genreal Mbone information is http://www.mbone.com.

Hope this helps,

	-Jim