Date:      Thu, 04 Jan 2001 01:16:49 +0200 (IST)
From:      Roman Shterenzon <roman@harmonic.co.il>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, "David O'Brien" <TrimYourCc@NUXI.com>
Subject:   Re: C++ threaded programs

Quoting David O'Brien <TrimYourCc@NUXI.com>:

> On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 12:29:17AM +0600, Max Khon wrote:
> > Can you tell me what do you plan on "C++ threaded programs
> > segfault" issue?
>
> Still fixing issues.
> Compiling -static is broken with my latest patch.
> Dan and I have a 2nd patch we are reviewing and testing.
>
> > At this time I give people the same patch that I sent you about two
> weeks
> > ago (you can get it at http://iclub.nsu.ru/~fjoe) -- only one libgcc.a
> > (with threads support, -fpic) is built with it and it is linked into
> > shared objects.
>
> I had to tweat that some (based on what I had at the time).  I guess I
> should just post my patch.
>
> I have been unable to get anyone I've directly asked to actually test it
> (that emailed me saying they have a problem with the current state of
> the world).
Yes, you asked me to test it, and I'll be glad to assist you.
The problem is that I don't have time for the following couple of days,
but I'll try it as soon as possible.

On the other side, I tested Daniel's patch - i.e. -nostdlib in libstdc++
and it works fine for everything I've tested it with - the only downside that
native 4.2 binaries that were compiled from C++ sources fail to work, but,
older, e.g. 4.1-STABLE work fine.
> --
> -- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)

--Roman Shterenzon, UNIX System Administrator and Consultant
[ Xpert UNIX Systems Ltd., Herzlia, Israel. Tel: +972-9-9522361 ]