Date:      Mon, 9 Apr 2001 21:15:16 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, jmz@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4 on alpha

> - The x11/XFree86-4 ports builds fine.
>
> - xdm still dumps core when queried by an X display.  This means
>   you cannot use an alpha to manage X terminals, i.e. you cannot
>   log into an alpha from an X display.  (Depending on individual
>   work habits that ranges from "huh?" to very bad.)

You can use this workaround for xdm:

sysctl -w machdep.unaligned_fix=1
sysctl -w machdep.unaligned_print=1
sysctl -w machdep.unaligned_sigbus=0

I assume that it's an unliagned access error that's causing the
core dump.

Since you have the core dump and the program source, it's trivial
to do a backtrace and identify where the bad code lives, and fix
it.  The maintainer might not be able to reproduce the problem.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.