Date:      Tue, 10 May 2011 20:59:17 +0200
From:      Mage <mage@mage.hu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel and buildworld questions

On 05/10/2011 08:35 PM, Pierre-Luc Drouin wrote:

> By the way you don't really need to use the cvsup package anymore, as
> there is now the csup command that is part of FreeBSD. Regarding the
> core dumps, maybe you should tried running portsclean -PLD to remove
> old packages, libraries and distfiles from your system.If you can
> reproduce easily the core dumps, maybe you can find which libraries
> causes the processes to crash using gdb

Thank you for helping.

I tried:

[root@eden ~]# cvsup sup_standard
Connected to cvsup.de.FreeBSD.org
Updating collection src-all/cvs
 Edit src/bin/sh/expand.c
Illegal instruction: 4 (core dumped)

[root@eden ~]#  portsclean -PLD
Detecting unreferenced distfiles...
no unreferenced distfiles found.
Cleaning out /usr/ports/packages...
Delete /usr/ports/packages/All/ezm3-1.1_2.tbz

[root@eden ~]# cvsup sup_standard
Connected to cvsup.de.FreeBSD.org
Updating collection src-all/cvs
 Edit src/bin/sh/expand.c
Illegal instruction: 4 (core dumped)

All my packages must be binary now as this system didn't exist in April:

[mage@eden ~]$ cd /usr/ports/packages/All/
[mage@eden /usr/ports/packages/All]$ ls -l | grep Apr | wc
     351    3159   24777
[mage@eden /usr/ports/packages/All]$ ls -l | grep May | wc
       0       0       0

Any of them would have date from May if built from ports.

Where can I see the core dump? In dmesg I see only this:

pid 12239 (cvsup), uid 0: exited on signal 4 (core dumped)

(Or 'miniruby' when I try to build ruby 1.9.2)

        Mage