Date:      Sun, 6 Feb 2011 13:03:40 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Jason Fesler <jfesler@gigo.com>
Subject:   Re: MSS rewrite / MSS clamping?

On Sun, 6 Feb 2011, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> On 2/5/2011 11:07 PM, Jason Fesler wrote:
>> I'm in search of MSS clamping for FreeBSD servers; in particular, for
>> IPv6.  I'm finding pretty much nothing (except iptables..) on the net.
>
> Hi,
> 	I am curious as to where you would be running into MTU issues on IPv6
> where you would need to manually compensate ? Broken tunnel providers ?

ICMP is bad and so filtering ICMPv6 must be good?  Right?  Even
vendors selling firewalls do it to their own webserver.

MSS clamping is a bad workaround for broken PMTU, and the real answer
really is, get the paths fixed!

Ther alternative I occactionally do is a destination route with a
lower MTU but you cannot go endlessly down with IPv6 as there's the
minimum.

          Stop bit received. Insert coin for new address family.