Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 2019 18:21:33 -0800
From:      Ravi Pokala <rpokala@freebsd.org>
To:        Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>, "freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Request for Recommendations: media / transcode server

-----Original Message-----
From: Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
Date: 2019-11-14, Thursday at 03:35
To: Ravi Pokala <rpokala@freebsd.org>
Cc: "freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
   =20
    > On Nov 14, 2019, at 12:40 AM, Ravi Pokala <rpokala@freebsd.org> wrote=
:
    > _
   =20
    The bad news.
   =20
    No one is making server class boards off the current gen SoC based x86 =
stuff like they did with the atom c2000 based stuff.

I ended up with my current board because we were evaluating C2000 at work, =
and we used this board to do it. It worked well at the office, so I picked o=
ne up for myself.

(As luck would have it, we started using C2000 late enough that the errata =
had already been discovered and fixed by the time we started shipping, so ou=
r products don't have this problem.)

I had planned to move forward to one of the follow-on SoCs, but I wasn't ab=
le to find any the last I checked.

But! I just checked ark.intel.com for Denverton (the codename of the follow=
-on SoC), and found quite a few of them; it looks like they're branded as "C=
3000".

And I was able to find quite a few "C3000"s at Supermicro:

https://www.supermicro.com/en/search?Search=3DC3000

I'll look more closely tonight, but those seem to be in the right ballpark =
at least.

    If you look for J4000/J5000 based boards all there is are media server =
boards with no BMC, 1 SODIMM slot, two SATA ports, and a single PCI-e slot.=20

"Media server" and "two SATA ports"... <facepalm>

    You=E2=80=99ll need to step up to something like a SM X11SPA which is a lot o=
f board to get what you want.

Yeah, I don't need a full-blown Xeon for this. Heck, I don't even want some=
thing with a *socket* for this! :-)
   =20
    Supposedly the ARM ecosystem was going to fill that void (or pushed x86=
 out depending on who you ask) but I don=E2=80=99t really know if that happened.=20

Indeed. Alas, neither the arm64 hardware nor our arm64 support seems to be =
quite there yet. :-(

Thanks!

Ravi (rpokala@)

    Thanks,