Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:37:18 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Limiting closed port RST response

David Malone wrote:
> > I was using FreeBSD a while ago, suddenly a lot of messages show up:
> >
> > Limiting closed port RST responses from 224 to 200 packets per seconds.
> >
> > These messages persist even after reboot. What happened? What should I do?
>
> Could someone be port scanning you? Another possibility is that you
> alot of machines are trying to contact a TCP service on the machine
> in question, which isn't running.

I've seen this while doing load testing.

In general, you want the limit threshold to be higher than
the connections per second rate, or you will get this message.

I have modified my code locally to crank it up to twice the
listen queue depth.  Frequently, you are just better off by
turning of the limiting entirely (there's s sysctl; look at
the code in netinet that emits the message, or grep sysctl -A
for "lim").

-- Terry