Date:      Thu, 21 Aug 2003 02:05:48 GMT
From:      Jason.George@ResourceChain.com (Jason George)
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD 5.1-REL locks up w/ a SMP Kernel

>On 20-Aug-2003 John Baldwin wrote:
>>On 20-Aug-2003 Peter Losher wrote:
>> I have a Rackable Systems 1U here that I am trying to get a SMP kernel
>> running on,  It has dual PIII 1GHz CPU's on a Tyan Thunder LE-T v10.7
>> motherboard (with ServerWorks chips strewn all over).  A uni-processor
>> kernel works just fine, but when I bring out a SMP-aware kernel, it
>> boots until:
>>
>> unknown: <PNP0303> can't assign resources (port)
>> unknown: <PNP0303> can't assign resources (port)
>> unknown: <PNP0303> can't assign resources (port)
>> unknown: <PNP0303> can't assign resources (port)
>> APIC_IO: Testing 8254 interrupt delivery
>>
>> And that's when it locks up.  The first for lines are there with both
>> kernels, the APIC_IO line obviously only shows up when SMP is turned on.
>> Any ideas on what may be going on here?
>
>You likely aren't getting interrupts from the RTC on IRQ8, so it spins
>forever.  <to the list:> Has anyone else had problems with this
>motherboard and/or gotten it to work ok?

I have this issue on my dual Pentium Pro 200 Intergraph TD-310 running
-CURRENT.

With an SMP kernel booted in either default or single-user from the loader,
I get:

unknown: <PNP0303> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0400> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0500> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0500> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0700> can't assign resources (port)
APIC_IO: Testing 8254 interrupt delivery
<hang>

With an SMP kernel with an explicit "boot -s" on the command line after
escaping out of the boot loader countdown timer, I get:

unknown: <PNP0303> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0400> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0500> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0500> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0700> can't assign resources (port)
APIC_IO: Testing 8254 interrupt delivery
APIC_IO: routing 8254 via IOAPIC #0 intpin 2
Timecounters tick every 10.000 msec
ad4: 4103MB <ST34342A> [8894/15/63] at ata2-master UDMA33
Waiting 8 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
<continues to single-user mode>

I also have to explicitly set "kern.timecounter.hardware=i8254" to keep the
machine from bending space-time and moving the system clock forward at about
60x normal.

I can provide system specifics and further details if required.

--J
Jason George, P.Eng.
Calgary, Alberta