Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 2002 17:26:54 -0400
From:      "Carolyn Longfoot" <c_longfoot@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   NAT/DNS/WEB

I have a machine that's a dual homed host running NAT and DNS, connected to
the outside world with a static IP. It seems I can nslookup
'www.mydomain.com' from the outside, so I think my DNS responds to lookups
from the outside.

I am pointing 'WWW' via DNS to a separate machine called web.mydomain.com
but for some reason from the outside I cannot get to
http://www.mydomain.com. It is working from the inside however.

My confusion is therefore the following: how can I test that outside DNS
queries are resolved correctly and why would requests for http://www... not
get routed to the Web server?

I'm pretty sure nothing relevant (UDP 53 or IP 80) gets dropped by the
firewall btw., I checked /var/log/security.

This is my first attempt at DNS so please be gentle :-) I'm looking for a
conceptual answer but I can follow up with config files if it helps. I read
some old posts at 'Ask Mr.DNS' that talked about running 'split DNS'. Is
that still necessary?

Thanks so much,

Caro