Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 09:39:28 +1100
From:      Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@S1.com>
To:        danny h <bsd_freebsd@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The annoyance of the Linux hype when Freebsd is clearly better than  Linux

Hullo Danny,

> I went to the software shop with intentions to purchase the latest version
> of Freebsd but they have this whole area dedicated to Linux with books etc.
> But no Freebsd

That's understandable. There are few commercial outlets - especially in
Australia. If you're in Sydney (can't tell from your mail address ;')
there is a guy at North Rocks Markets every Sunday morning (although
from mid-December it goes into 'recess') who sells The Complete FreeBSD
(Grog's book) with CD's. He purchases them from Walnut Creek. He will
also (I think) if you ask nice, burn you a copy of the CD's (for a small
charge, of course ;')

> I went to yet another. The store use to have many copies of Greg Lehney's
> book now all they have is all Linux books.

So, tell the manager of the store. And tell those of us in Australia
which store it is, so if/when we need *BSD supplies, we can hassle them.

> The article in "PC World" last month (in Australia) talks about "Operating
> systems head to head" yet the article mentions Windows 2000, OPen Linux,
> Redhat Linux but no Freebsd.

Sure. But that's PC World ;') I saw, and read, the article. For what it
was trying to do, I think it was reasonably done. They didn't mention a
whole heap of Linux Distributions in their review - I'm sure there are a
heap of Linux people bagging PCW for not including their favourite
distro. Remember, the article also mentioned Win98 and BeOS in the
comparison.

> The hype is everywhere for Linux.

But *we* can leverage off that hype!

As many here have stated - it's not an "us" (*BSD) against "them"
(*Linux) - it's "US" (Open Source Unix and clones) against "THEM" ('The
company from Redmond').

If Linux is leading the way, and getting the hype, does it _really_
matter? A good thing about foot-soldiers leading the way, is that they
often catch all the lead ;') :')

Yes, we all agree that *BSD are better Operating Systems - but, Linux is
such a quantum leap forward from where the people are coming from, that
sometimes they don't _need_ to go the extra step to *BSD.

*But*, if and when they do eventually decide that they need something
"better", we are still here.

Perhaps I should join the '-advocacy' mail list ;')

All the above are my opinions, which can (and will) change :')

Best regards,

|-|