Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 10:25:00 +0600 (NOVT)
From:      Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, thierry@herbelot.com, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
Subject:   Re: Porting NVidia linux kernel modules to FreeBSD

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> On 12-Mar-01 Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
> > > Meaning, 3.3.6 + utah_glx outperforms by a factor of two 4.0.2 + DRI?!
> > >

> >  Or, even better, 4.0.2 + "suppose-we-managed-to-port-it nvidia kernel
> >  module" + nvidia binary 'nvidia' replacement module for XFree-4's 'nv'
> >  driver?  I mean, will 336/utah be better??
>
> No, nvidia's binary driver would be (a lot) faster.
>
> The Utah-GLX one doesn't direct render which slows it down a lot. (All the GL
> commands go through the X pipe)

That's what I thought, but Jordan's email really made me doubt that my
vision of things is correct.  Particulary, I don't quite understand this
one:

	Statement #1: Utah-GLX doesn't direct render

	Statement #2: From man nv(4) of XFree-4.0.2- "The driver is fully
			accelerated, and provides support..."

Thus far, it seems that based on these two statements, 336/utah (taking
into account that 1) it is somewhat older technology; 2) XFree86-4.0.2
driver is in fact native nvidia's software render driver (providing
non-direct rendering 3D acceleration of OpenGL) released as OpenSource
(http://www.nvidia.com/Products/OpenLinuxDwn.nsf/XFree86335)) should be at
its best as fast as X4 'nv' driver (included in X4 core distribution), and
probably even slower.  That's what my common sense says :-)

So, considering all the above, I don't quite understand "at least 2X the
frame rate using the same OpenGL app", speaking Jordan's words.

I'm probably missing something here, and I'm very eager to find my way
out :-)

Actually, there's one more question I have about XFree-4.  IIUC, core GL
libs, such as libGL.so, libOSMesa.so, etc are included in XFree 4.0.2 core
distribution.  So how come that lots of applications still have Mesa-3.2
in their dependencies?

10x.

--
	WBR