Date:      Mon, 9 Sep 2002 11:02:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vinod <geekvinod@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ad-Hoc Vs Host-Ap

Hi i needed some help figuring out the advantages of
an ad-hoc setup to an infrastructure setup.

I plan to use a proxy between my wireless clients and
the internet outside.I need to put a lot of code in my
proxy to manage my network(part of my research
work).so i assume i can't use  normal Access point
hardware(correct me if i am wrong as i beleive i cant
put too much code in a vendor's access point.or can
i?).So i figured i needed a desktop or laptop to act
as my proxy.

if this proxy in ad-hoc mode,acts as a gateway to my
wireless clients ,how different would it be compared
to using this proxy in infrastructure mode(Host-AP
mode), considering the fact that all i need the proxy
to do is act as a gateway?
Can anyone tell me in terms of performance.

Thanks in Advance,
Vinod