Date:      Sat, 31 Dec 2005 17:02:35 -0500
From:      Kim Culhan <w8hdkim@gmail.com>
To:        Atanas <atanas@asd.aplus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.0-STABLE can't see floppy drive for KLD loading

On 12/30/05, Atanas <atanas@asd.aplus.net> wrote:
> Kim Culhan said the following on 12/29/05 14:10:
> > Trying to install 6.0-STABLE on a Supermicro 5014C-MT server with
> > a P8SCT motherboard.
> >
> > Also installed is a 3Ware 9550SX sata raid controller.
> >
> > The latest 6.0-STABLE snap from 12-08-05 does not have the version
> > of the TWA driver which supports the 9550SX so it would be necessary to
> > kldload the binary, available from the 3Ware web site.
> >
> > Running sysinstall and navigating to Configure-->Load KLD
> > the installation fails as it complains: Cant find the floopy
> >
> > The hardware appears to be good as it is possible to boot a dos floppy.
> >
> > Have not been successful finding a more recent snap.. the changes for t=
he
> > 9550SX controller were about a day late to be included in the 12-08 sna=
p :(

> > Any info in greatly appreciated
> >
> You could do the following:
> - attach a standalone drive (IDE,SATA,SCSI)
> - install FreeBSD and upgrade it to *-STABLE
> - partition a 3ware drive (array, whatever) and make it bootable
> - transfer the OS installation from the standalone drive to the 3ware
> partition.
>
> Or you could create a bootable USB (hard, flash, iPod, digital camera,
> etc.) drive up to date with -STABLE (see /usr/src/tools/tools/nanobsd),
> boot the 3ware box from it, and install over the network.

Thanks for the info, these are good ideas.

> I haven't tried the latter myself, but already used a nanobsd based USB
> flash drive as emergency recovery media on a 9550SX based box, and it
> worked.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to get one of those USB flash drives.

The route I took was to make a FBSD release on a recent -stable machine, th=
en
create in installtion ISO image and burn an installation CD.

The machine has been updated to STABLE from a day ago and runs fine
with the new 3Ware 9550SX controller.

The floopy drive can be used with:

mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy; ls lists files etc

Sysinstall still appears to be broken for the 'Load a KLD from a floppy'
function on the Configuration menu.

regards
-kim

--