Date:      Fri, 23 Nov 2012 13:25:06 +0100
From:      Bas Smeelen <b.smeelen@ose.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How go back from X.Y-RELEASE-pZ to X.Y-RELEASE?

On 11/23/2012 12=3A22 PM=2C Peter Olsson wrote=3A
=3E We are currently using cvs for both source and ports=2E
=3E I have begun changing to portsnap for ports=2C and I
=3E would also like to try changing at least some of our
=3E servers to freebsd-update=2E
=3E
=3E But all servers have been patched=2C using either RELENG=5F8=5F3
=3E or RELENG=5F9=5F0 as cvs tag=2E I need to revert them to their
=3E respective RELEASE to be able to use freebsd-update=2E
=3E Complete reinstall from eg CD is not an option=2C and I don=27t
=3E want to upgrade to a newer RELEASE at the moment=2E
=3E
=3E Can I change the cvs tags to RELENG=5F8=5F3=5F0=5FRELEASE or
=3E RELENG=5F9=5F0=5F0=5FRELEASE=2C and then build/install world and
=3E kernel as usual=3F
=3E Or will that method cause problems for the system or the
=3E installed ports=3F
=3E
=3E Thanks!

RELENG=5F9=5F0 and RELENG=5F8=5F3 are RELEASE branches including patches=20=

=288=2E3-RELEASE-p4 for instance=29=2C so you should be able to use freebsd=
-update=20
ont them without changing anything=2E
If the servers are up to date then freebsd-update doesn=27t have to do=20=

anything for them untill the next paches for them come around=2E

This e-mail message=2C including any attachment=28s=29=2C is intended solel=
y for the addressee or addressees=2E Any views or opinions presented herein=
 are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of O=
SE=2E

If you are not the intended recipient of this communication please return t=
his e-mail message and the attachment=28s=29 to the sender and delete and d=
estroy all copies=2E