Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2018 11:51:38 -0400
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        "freebsd-toolchain@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org>,  "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Migrating arm(v7) to LLD_BOOTSTRAP

On 16 January 2018 at 18:45, Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org> wrote:
> With the update to Clang/LLVM/lld 6.0.0 I believe lld is nearly ready
> to be used as the system linker for armv7, and I plan to enable
> LLD_BOOTSTRAP by default after a couple of WIP patches land and after
> a little more testing. This may happen a week or two from now. This
> should have little impact on port builds, because /usr/bin/ld will
> still be GNU ld.bfd (although there may be some unexpected fallout).

There was one significant issue preventing use of lld for armv7 - it
was not handling float type flags in the ELF header.

This was just fixed upstream, and I brought the change into FreeBSD in
r336972. I believe we're now ready to enable LLD_BOOTSTRAP by default
for armv7, and have posted the patch in review D16528[1] for
comments/feedback.

[1] https://reviews.freebsd.org/D16528