Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 1997 15:14:27 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Uh oh..  Time to take another look at the packages collection!

On Sun, Sep 28, 1997 at 10:14:39PM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> The FreeBSD-current packages collection currently requires 713MB, not
> counting the filename information itself (which, on CDs, is stored
> very wastefully and generally accounts for another 30-40MB in cases
> like this where you have hundreds of files).  I don't need to tell
> anyone here that 750MB does *not* fit on a single CD, and even with
> 4 CDs for 3.0 we're going to run into problems just organizing it.
>
> So, as I see it, we have two alternatives:
>
> 1. Come up with a "reduced set" of packages which we'll provide that
>    way, the goal being to provide 650MB or less of "quality" packages
>    rather than going for the kitchen-sink approach.

That way flamewar lies.  And if not flamewar, then possibly because
only one person knows a certain package, and has decided it's not that
hot.  He could be wrong.

> 2. Come up with a way of splitting the packages collection into multiple
>    pieces, each piece having its own INDEX file and such.

Sounds like the way to go.  Is it so difficult?  We could go for a
purely alphabetical split, or maybe figure out some easily-understood
functional split.  Whatever we choose should be expandable for the
estimated 1.5 GB in 4.0.

Greg