Date:      Mon, 30 Jun 1997 13:50:00 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        mark@quickweb.com (Mark Mayo)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, mark@quickweb.com, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Monitor shadows?

Mark Mayo stands accused of saying:

> Several people have suggested that my problem may just be a crappy
> (improperly shielded) VGA cable. I'm going to get a new cable and
> see if that is in fact the problem - I would be a happy man indeed
> if I can fix this problem with a new cable (read: it won't cost me
> much!).

I assumed you were using the cable that came with the MAG, which is
properly shielded and matched.

> I'm pretty sure I'm within the refresh limits of the
> monitor, since it just shuts itself off and says the signal is out
> of range when I try something really high -- I have no idea how I'd
> tell if I'm overdriving the thing signal wise (I'm assuming you're
> talking about impedence or signal amplitude?). I can't picture how
> the ampliers could ever get into a state where clipping would occur,
> in any reasonably intelligent monitor (which I would say the MAG
> is)...

The point I was making was that the basic problem (smearing) can be
causes by any of the listed factors.  The MAG will cut out if you
exceed its design parameters, but the input circuitry may have
degraded to the point where it is incapable of handling the signal
you are feeding it anymore.

> Since you also have the MX17FG, do you happen to know how hard it
> can be driven?  It seems like I'm the only person in the universe
> (aside from you) that actually has one of these things. None of the
> driver info files I've seen that specify refresh rates (in AccelX,
> NT, or 95) have info specific to the MX17FG - only the "MX17", and
> the "MXP17F". I lost the manual that came with the thing...

Ah; I actually have an MXP17F.  My understanding was that the
differences between the three were fairly small.

> I'm assuming the "MX17FG" that I have is somewhere in the middle,
> since the MXP17F is defined as having a max vert. refresh of 75Hz
> for just about every frequency. My definitions for the MX17 say it
> can do 76Hz at 1152x864, but only 70Hz at 1024x768. I know my MX17FG
> can do 76Hz at 1024x768, but 75Hz is the max at 1152x864. It's sort
> of weird, since if I tell it to do 75Hz, it's fine but and the LCD
> says it's running at "75.5Hz", but if I try 76Hz I get an out of
> range message (at 1152x864). Anyways, if you have some info on this
> I'd appreciate it.

The MXP17F goes to 85KHz horizontal and something like 80Hz vertical;
it's managed to sync to just about everything I've thrown it over the
years.  I don't think you're exceeding the design limits of your unit,
but I'm sorry I can't actually tell you what they are 8(

> Otherwise, I'm fairly happy with the Mag - the Moire effects are quite bad at
> times, but the display is crisp and the refresh rates are acceptable. If the
> new cable fixes my shadows, I'll be happy!

>From my POV, the MAG electronics are wonderful, but the tube assembly
sucks bigtime.  Mine has a lopsided trapezoidal display, poor
convergance and the red gun is going.