Date:      	Fri, 6 Sep 1996 19:13:33 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@alive.ampr.ab.ca>
To:        Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
Cc:        FreeBSD-stable@freebsd.org, FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: interest in syscons cut&paste patches for 2.1.5?

On Sat, 7 Sep 1996, Mikael Karpberg wrote:

[...]
> The mouse pointer seems to work, but it's NOT good looking. I can move four
> characters around, and these cover what I put them over, and are not
> "see through" as I expected. In these four chars there are traces of a good
> looking pointer, split up and spread around. :-)

As Soren already said, and as my message that crossed yours in the mail
said, it should be defined as 1.  I am interested in knowing why the patch
didn't take in your syscons.h.  When you get it right, it looks like a
nice graphical pointer covering a part of a single character.

[...]

> *sigh* One thing is annoying me TERRIBLY about syscons. That the beep is not
> global amoung all ttys! If you get a talk or so on one of the ttyvXX screens
> and you are working on another, or in X, you wont notice a thing.
> VERY frustrating. A friend said that was fixed in 2.2. True? How would I go
> about making it work in 2.1.5? Maybe add that to the syscons patch for 2.1.5,
> if you make a new version, Marc? Or someone, let me in on how to do it?

Only beeping if the active VC beeps is a feature, not a bug.  That said,
it annoyed me too and I was intending to fix it once I remembered it.  It
is changed in -current, as of revision 1.140.  It really isn't that hard
to pull such changes out of the CVS repository (the one for the mouse
support does take a little bit to make; the one below is quite easy).  I
would strongly recommend that anyone with an interest in FreeBSD
development start taking a look at the CVS repository.  A good way to get
started.  Unfortunately, I don't know of any documents with a good
introduction to using CVS and RCS as it applies to the FreeBSD source
tree.

If you are using the syscons driver with my patch applied, the following
diff should work.  If you are using the 2.1.5-RELEASE driver, change
'configuration' to 'flags' each place that it appears below _before_
applying the patch.

*** syscons.c	1996/09/07 00:44:41	1.3
--- syscons.c	1996/09/07 00:47:13
***************
*** 3273,3290 ****
  static void
  do_bell(scr_stat *scp, int pitch, int duration)
  {
!     if (scp == cur_console) {
! 	if (flags & VISUAL_BELL) {
! 	    if (blink_in_progress)
! 		return;
! 	    blink_in_progress = 4;
! 	    blink_screen(scp);
! 	    timeout((timeout_func_t)blink_screen, scp, hz/10);
! 	}
! 	else
! 	    sysbeep(pitch, duration);
      }
  }

  static void
  blink_screen(scr_stat *scp)
--- 3273,3293 ----
  static void
  do_bell(scr_stat *scp, int pitch, int duration)
  {
!     if (flags & VISUAL_BELL) {
! 	if (blink_in_progress)
! 	    return;
! 	blink_in_progress = 4;
! 	if (scp != cur_console)
! 	    blink_in_progress += 2;
! 	blink_screen(cur_console);
! 	timeout((timeout_func_t)blink_screen, cur_console, hz/10);
!     } else {
! 	if (scp != cur_console)
! 	    pitch *= 2;
! 	sysbeep(pitch, duration);