Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2012 16:24:22 -0600
From:      dweimer <dweimer@dweimer.net>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 9.1 system hung with top open on console, yet responsive on ssh =?UTF-8?Q?sessions=3F?=

On 2012-12-12 15:58, dweimer wrote:
> I ran into a weird one, have a 9.1 test system (virtual in VMWare
> Workstation 9) that I left running logged into the console with top
> running.  The console the top process it was running appear to have
> hung, can't use ALT + F1,F2... to switch virtual consoles.  However I
> can log in to the system via ssh, if you run top you get the same
> information on the console, can even interact with it, switching
> search order and the like.  systat also seems to not display current
> information.  I can do everything I have tried through the console
> except I noticed that syslog isn't writing data and a
> /etc/rc.d/syslog
> restart hung as well.
>
> This is just a test system running one single Java program (Ubiquiti
> UniFi controller software) that is responding just fine as well.
> Thought maybe it was disk access related, however I have confirmed
> that I can read and write to the disk, used dd if=/dev/random
> of=/.../random.out..., to each file system and was able to write to
> all of them.  Before I reboot the system (I have a feeling it won't
> reboot cleanly), I was curious if anyone else has ever seen this and
> what I should check to possibly identify what caused the problem.

Might have discovered its probable related to
<http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=294987+0+archive/2012/freebsd-stable/20120805.freebsd-stable>;
as I noticed as well that that date command was always returning
yesterdays date with the time set the same as top returned.

I went ahead and reset the virtual machine with the sysctl value set as
listed in the thread linked to above.  will see if I hit the issue again
or not.  Though this application will be moved off this test system to
my actual serve as soon as the 9.1-Release is official.  so it may not
be running long enough to know if that is the real solution.

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer