Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 1996 22:23:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Carlos Augusto Capriotti <carlos.capriotti@mpcbbs.com.br>
Cc:        "'questions@FreeBSD.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Setting up a WEB Site. Need info.

On Tue, 16 Jan 1996, Carlos Augusto Capriotti wrote:

> Hello. > > I intend to set up a Web Site on my School. Therefore I need
an Unix-like operating system and SW like WWW server, Gopher Server,
E-mail server, FTP server , Domain Name Server, etc.

You're in the right spot.  FreeBSD can do all that.

(Why would you want to run Gopher when you're going to run WWW?)

> > Reading the
description about FreeBSD, I found it very interesting, but does it
provide the necessary programs I listed above ?

Most certainly.

> > How many CDs come in
the package (Well, I really mean the one sold by Walnut Creek) ?

Two:  one with the install stuff, and a ``live filesystem'' CD with
sources and other handy info.

> > Does the package include a manual (I mean a printed one) ?

The CD has a little install book, but most other docs are online, in the
man pages and on http://www.freebsd.org.

> > Are there printed books on BSD ?

On the original BSD distribution, but none recently on FreeBSD.

> > (This one is going to be a tough
one) Can you tell something about Linux and BSD ?

This is not a good question for the FreeBSD support forum :-)

They are completely different, one SysV based and the other BSD.  Linux
has more disorganized distributions, but more device support.  FreeBSD
has a tight, well-organized distribution with an excellent ports/packages
program system.

And the people are friendlier :)

Doug White                              | Student, University of Oregon
Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Major: Computer Science
http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | Eugene/Spfld BBS List Publisher