Date:      Sun, 29 Aug 2010 15:46:22 -0700
From:      Gordon Tetlow <gordon@tetlows.org>
To:        jhell <jhell@dataix.net>
Cc:        olli hauer <ohauer@gmx.de>, FreeBSD Ports <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: devel/p4d patch

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 7:10 AM, jhell <jhell@dataix.net> wrote:

> > Hi J,
> >
> > this will only work if you install via ports but not via package.
> >
> > Try '@${CAT} ${PKGMESSAGE}' instead, the port system will find
> > the file and it will be displayed during (package) install.
> >
> > post-install is the right section, but I agree the message can be
> > overlooked easily, this is one of the reason some pkg-messages
> > start and end with a line of '=' signs and have some blanks
> > between the '====..' line and the message self.
> >

> Hi Olli,
>
> Thank you for the feedback. I knew there was something more to it!. Good
> to know that is the right place for this. Maybe adding a @${ECHO} to the
> bottom and top of that statement to echo a separation line would make it
> more clear. Leaving it up to Gordon as I just wanted to inform him about
> the error so it can be fixed.

Thanks for the report. The porter's guide called out the post-install
section for displaying the pkg-message. I'll look to add the ${PKGMESSAGE}
into the port instead of relying on the local directory. I'm going to guess
such a minor change doesn't warrant touching the revision for the port.

As a suggestion for the Porter's Handbook, can someone add some suggested
code ("@${ECHO} ${PKGMESSAGE}") instead of the note that is currently in
8.1? A warning in portlint would be helpful too.

Gordon