Date:      Wed, 22 Feb 1995 00:39:16 +0100
From:      Julian Howard Stacey <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, davidg@Root.COM, jhs@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Possible kern.maxproc fatal bug

> Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Re.
>   Probably because the proc table is not dynamically sized. Basically, you
>can't change maxproc - it probably should not by managed by sysctl.

But it is dynamically sized.  I can't see any problems that would cause
a panic. Old rlimits for RLIMIT_NPROC become bogus when maxproc is changed
but this probably won't cause a panic.

Well now,
I guess I don't make this offer often, or lightly,
but it Will crash my machine, & as a normal user,
so if someone Really wanted to prove it, I could issue a temporary login
late one slip connected night (TZ=GMT+1), & let that person Prove it to
their satisfaction :-)
Of course I'd rather not ... but if it's necessary to prove the bug ;-)

Julian S (fretting & worrying, hoping no one will take him up on his offer ;-)